Novi Sad and Petrovaradin fortress Tour
A day-long trip from Belgrade to Novi Sad, Serbia's second-largest city and Capital of the Vojvodina region. The town has a long and an exciting history since it was under the rule of Celts, Romans, Franks, Barbarians and Turks, Habsburg empire… until the town finally became part of ex-Yugoslavia and Serbia. First we will visit the “Gibraltar of the Danube”, the Petrovaradin fortress from where you will have magic view of the whole city. After that, we will go to the centre of the city of Novi Sad, and explore the Austro-Hungarian old town, with its baroque buildings, grew up around the ancient fortifications. We will visit the episcopal church as well as an orthodox church before we continue up the main street to Freedom Square where we find the Town Hall, dating from 1895...
The Tours schedule are Flexible. The most important thing is respond to the wishes of tourists.
Program - Novi Sad and Petrovaradin fortress Tour
Gibraltar on the Danube or Petrovaradin Fortress is located in the on the right bank of the Danube river, opposite to Novi Sad. It is an Austro-Hungarian fortification built during the war with the Ottoman empire (Laid on October 18,. 1692) The clock tower on the fortress is one of the major landmarks of Novi Sad. It is known in the city as the "drunken clock", since the large needle shows the hours, and the small one shows the minutes, which was once normal, but is opposite to the standards of today’s watches.
Trg Slobode (Liberty Square)
City Hall or former Magistrate, dominates the square with its elegancy and beauty is the administrative seat of the Novi Sad municipality. It was built in 1895 by architect György Molnár in Neo-Renaissance style, with 16 allegorical figures, the work of Julije Anika, and the city's coat of arms as decoration. The tall tower with the bell of St Florian, a Catholic saint and protector of the city from fire, is especially striking on City Hall. The bell is also known as Matilda’s Bell, after the philanthropist who presented the bell to the fire-fighters of Novi Sad.
Opposite City Hall stands a parish church, called the Name of Mary Church. It was built in 1895, at the same time as the Magistrate (City Hall) and was designed by the same architect, György Molnár. The church was erected in Neo-Gothic style on the site of an earlier church built in 1742 and is dedicated to the Holy Mother of God. Inside there is an altar made from carved wood, while the windows are made of Tyrolean stained glass. Despite the inaccuracy of the term (since the seat of the Bačka diocese in located in Subotica), the residents of Novi Sad refer to the church as the Cathedral. The Yard of the Catholic Church (Katolička Porta), with the church parish building – the Plebanija, from 1809 – as well as the Vatican Palace and City Cultural Centre, occupies the space behind the parish church. The Vatican Palace was built in 1930 from plans drawn up by architect Daka Popović. The façade was built in Secession style and has many terraces and balconies like those on residential housing blocks from the pre-First World War period..
Zmaj Jovina street
Zmaj Jovina street extends from Liberty Square to the Bishop’s Residence and is the main pedestrian and shopping zone in Novi Sad. It was once called Glavna (Main) street or colloquially known as Magazinski Sokak (‘Shopping Alley’). The street gained its current appearance after 1848, following the bombardment of Novi Sad from Petrovaradin Fortress. There used to be a market in the street and city trams would trundle through it. Today, the street is named after the famous children's poet and doctor Jovan ‘Zmaj’ Jovanović, whose sculpture stands at the beginning of the street in front of the Bishop's Palace.
At the beginning of Zmaj Jovina street stands the Bishop's Palace, the residence of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of the Eparchy of Bačka. The residence was finished in 1901 according to plans drawn up by architect Vladimir Nikolić, who is also responsible for the contemporary look of many buildings in the centre of Sremski Karlovci. The building’s façade is a mix of several styles among which Serbo-Byzantine Romanticism and Secession are dominant. The façade is also notable for the red brick it is built from, with yellow bricks and beautiful coats of arms of the rich Eparchy of Bačka added for decoration. Besides this, the building also houses a chapel which was painted by Russian painter Andrey Avsenev.